An effective long-term solution to straightening your teeth and correcting your bite is orthodontics. Orthodontics is a subspecialty area in dentistry that focuses on aligning and straightening teeth using wires and brackets, applying gentle pressure to the teeth to move them into a particular position. The discipline has advanced over decades and today treatment is a lot faster and more comfortable than it was in the past. Here is an overview of orthodontics:
1. Patients who have problems with their bite and the way their top and bottom teeth line up against each other are good candidates for orthodontic treatment.
2. Impressions, photos and x-rays are taken at the start of treatment to determine the course of action.
3. Brackets are bonded to individual teeth and wires clip onto them that gently guide the teeth into position over time.
4. Good oral hygiene habits are essential during treatment and regular visits are required for check-ups and adjustments.
• Straighter teeth are healthier teeth, as there are no gaps for plaque to build up in over time.
• Having an attractive smile will have a positive effect on your confidence.
• Orthodontics is a long-term investment in your oral health.
• Thanks to fixed permanent retention you can be assured that your teeth won’t move after treatment is completed.